Friday, 4 May 2012


ufs201-1th vocabulary entry
idioms
•       Natural manner of speaking to a native speaker of a language

1.    Break someone’s heart
Meaning: Break someone’s heart
Example:
1. Joe broke his mother’s heart when he
Dropped out of school.
2. Zul broke his friend’s heart when he say
Something that not true about his.

2.    Kid ( verb )
Meaning: Playfully say something that isn’t  true.
Example :
1. I was kidding when I said my
teacher was a monster. She’s strict,
but she’s actually a very nice
person.
2.  most of the naughty adult nowadays talk like a
kid to their parent.
                                            
3.    Eat like a horse
Meaning:   Eat a lot
Example:
1. Her brother who is 18 years old eats like a
horse.
2. Hairil got stomach-ache  because he eating
too much like a horse

4.    An Arm And A Leg 
Meaning:   Very expensive. A large amount of money. 
Example:
1. This silver necklace is an arm and a leg. I
don’t have enough money to buy this.
2. Even though the price of the camera is an arm
and a leg but it’s a durable and easy to use.

5.    Bite Your Tongue
Meaning:  To avoid talking.
 Example:
1.If you talk too much , just bite you
tongue .
2. If you bite your tongue, you refrain
from speaking because it is socially or
otherwise better not to.

6.    Pick up your ears.
Meaning: To listen very carefully
Example:
1. The lecturer told all student that they
must listen carefully about  the topic that
they learn today.
2. I must pick up my ears so that I know
and remember what my parents said.

7.    Hit The Books
Meaning: To study, especially for a test or exam
Example:
1. I can't go out tonight because I have an
exam tomorrow and need to hit the
books.
2. "I wish I could go to the movies, but I've
got to hit the books.

8.    Hold Your Horses
Meaning:  Be patient.
Example:
1.”Hold your horses, it’s not time to go yet,
we have to finish one more exercise”.
2. You must  hold your horses when your
talk with older people because
sometimes they didn’t hear you.

9.    In time
Meaning: not too late.
Example:
1. I thought I was going to be late for my
flight, but it was delayed. So I was still
in time.
2. Our meeting will be on 9am, so i must come in time.

10.  A snap
Meaning: Something that very easy to do.
Example:
example :
1. You should try making a paper plane. It's a
snap.
2. let’s make a piece of chocolate cake. It’s a
snap.

No comments:

Post a Comment